Have you ever had that moment when you think, why didn’t I know about this method before. Well that happened to me last week with regards to making a simple box. We had a craft week at our WI meeting this month and one of the ladies who makes cards showed us how to fold and make a box with a lid. It was so simple, but very effective, so I thought I would share it with you here.
One square (I am using 6″ x 6″ here) piece of patterned paper or not too thick card (if it’s too thick you will find it difficult to fold, but it can be done)
One square (1/4″ smaller) plain/matching patterned paper or card (150gsm)
Paper glue (not essential)
Mini round punch
- Start with the the patterned paper first which will be your lid, mark the centre of the paper by measuring from corner to corner with a ruler.
- With the pattern side facing down, fold in each corner to the centre mark, do the opposite corners first, you now have a square again.
- Next you need to fold the sides to meet in the centre. Open those out and do it again from the other 2 sides.
- Unfold and open out the whole thing so you can see the creases.
- Using the scissors cut according to the dotted lines in the photo above.
- Now using the uncut sides, fold these into the middle, the paper should fold easily and almost go straight into the correct position.
- Take the other side pieces and fold them in over the side flaps and this is your finished lid. Before doing the fold you can add a dot or 2 of glue to these side pieces to make the box more secure.
- Take a small circle cutter and cut a half circle in the two opposite sides of the lid (do it in the less thick sides) these will help you get the lid on and off easier.
- To make the base for the box repeat all the steps above with the slightly smaller piece of paper/card. It is smaller so that the lid will fit easily over it.
- Fit them together and there you have a nice, simple and sturdy box, perfect for a small piece of jewellery or other trinket.
I hope you found this useful? Let me know what you think?